Introduction (what is the use of OTC sleeping pill)
Do you have trouble getting sleep ? Do you sleep for short hours than you would have wished ? You’re your sleep hours come at odd hours and get lost when you feel you need it the most? OTC or rather Over-the-Counter sleeping pills are true sleeping aids that you must have been in need off all this time. It is worth noting that this should be a temporary solution as the most permanent way of solving your sleep issues is by completely overhauling your lifestyle. Without lifestyle change, your chronic insomnia will not be solved.
Some of the lifestyle changes that will ultimately lead to your insomnia being cured include sleeping on rather a regular schedule, taking daytime naps, managing stress, avoiding caffeine and exercising regularly among others. However, since these lifetime changes may take quite some time to solve the problem, you need the OTC sleeping pills.
In other words, OTC sleeping pills are those solutions that have been clinically made to help people suffering from sleep issues and can be bought without the prescription of a doctor. Though these pills have their pros, they also have their own contraindications. It is also worth noting that the effectiveness of the options and brands available in the market vary a great deal. A review of these products will thus go a long way to help you make the most appropriate decisions before buying and during the use of these products. If you were therefore planning to buy an OTC sleeping pill, read on
Best Natural Sleep Aid
The great herbal ingredient formulation that comes with LUNA Natural Sleep Aid has traditionally been used to assist people with sleep issues with great success, no wonder it scores high as the number one sleeping aid product on Amazon. Inside each capsule is found a formulation of herbal extracts that are associated with sleep promotion. These include: Hops, Chamomile, Valerian, Magnesium, Melatonin, Lemon Balm, and two amino-acids namely: L-Taurine and L-Theanine.
The impressive number of positive customer reviews and high ratings posted about the product on Amazon and other authentic sites, the product may probably be the best selling sleeping aid in the world. The reason for its popularity is off course, its effectiveness.
- Lifetime guarantee and return policy
- Great ingredients for natural sleep boosting including: 3mg Melatonin, 50mg each of GABA, Hopes Extract, Lemon Balm Extract and Passion Flower Extract, 75mg each of Chamomile Extract & Valerian Extract (75mg), 100mg L-Theanin and 5mg Magnesium.
- Third party tested for guaranteed quality
- Natural, drug-free
- Deep, great, restful, sound night sleep
- Relaxing and calming before sleep time
- Fast and effective
- Improved quality of sleep
- Its non addictive thus no fear of habit forming
- It’s a quality product that is 100% GMO free, Gluten free and certified for vegan use
- Safe for kids
- No scientific study to ascertain the authenticity of the claims has been done
- The tablet sizes of the 500mg tabs are rather large
- Quite expensive in comparison with other sleeping aids.
Best Herbal Sleep Aid
This is a dietary supplement that has been produced with its focus being to help the users get the maximum possible sound sleep. Most of the chemicals used to aid sleep always end up intoxicating the body. Finally, there is DRIFTOFF with us. It is a sleep aid that is naturally formulated to help many easily and smoothly gain sleep.
One of the main considerations when you are taking a food, supplement or drug is to ensure that it is free from side effects. Thank God we now have a product that will not intoxicate you with loads of chemicals. You have a 100% naturally formulated supplement for improved sleep and general body wellness. Choose DRIFTOFF, choose health.
- Great effective ingredients which include: Valerian, Skullcap, Gaba, L-tryptophan, Chamomile and Hops
- Expert formulation by a well established brand: Zhou Nutrition
- Sleep well and wake up refreshed
- 60 tablets for 60 days
- Non habit forming
- Perfect sleep after consumption
- Rich natural ingredients for stress relief and effective sleep without side effects
- Overall wellbeing guaranteed
- Possibility of better decision making performance
- No cons recorded and there are none that are foreseen
Best Sleep Aid For Adults
Whereas a good number of people do joke that sleep is for those who are weak, the best and most accurate phrase though ought to be, “real sleep shouldn’t make you weak”. Unfortunately, a great deal of those who struggle to get sleep or even enough night sleep will attest to the fact that their sleep makes them weak. Worse still, those using sleep aids will still complain of tiredness the following day. Thanks we now have Kirkland Signature Sleep Aid, an effective way to have enough sleep without becoming weak.
It is almost certain that if you are having sleep problems, Kirkland Signature Sleep Aid will be your perfect solution. Without any side effects, it’s worth giving it a try.
- Features Doxylamine Succinate as its active ingredient
- Comes with 192 tablets of 25mg Doxylamine Succinate
- I tablet per dose
- Very effective in making one to fast fall asleep
- Not habit forming
- Generally affordable as compared with counterparts
- Doesn’t have known side effects
- It comes with after sleep drowsiness hence not the best if you want to wake up early
- Its taste is quite unpleasant
- No one-size-fits-all hence not effective for a few individuals
Best Sleep Aid For Adults
This is arguably one of the best selling kid’s sleep-aid that contains Melatonin as an active ingredient. With the major composition of 2mg chamomile and 0.5mg Melatonin, the product is not only marketed but also proved to be a fast dissolving solution that comes with a great fruit flavor hence easily taken by children.
Children have rich reserved of melatonin already and it would only be wise for you to take tests to ascertain deficiency before you can administer this product. In anyway, it is effective in making the little ones fall asleep.
- Fast melting, safe and effective
- Pediatrician recommended
- 30 fruit flavored tablets
- No added sugar, artificial colors, dyes or artificial sweeteners
- Observed GMP guidelines during production
- Clinically tested
- Non-GMO; doesn’t contain dairy, nuts, wheat (gluten), fish, corn, egg and yeast
- Gives faster results as compared with the chewable options
- Is packed with a great deal of healthy natural ingredients
- Recommended by pediatricians
- Natural fruit flavored for easy use by children.
- It’s features Melatonin, a synthesized hormone that may come with future health risks
- Side effects of Melatonin may include poor testes and ovary development at puberty
Best All Natural Sleep Aid
The Zenwise Health’s extra strength Sleep Support, has been designed and manufactured as one of the very best all-natural sleep support which guarantees the user a calm & restful night full of deep sleep. It is a product that can be used by persons of either gender as well as age, provided you suffer from rest or rather sleep insufficiency. Fortunately, unlike most of the other sleep aids, this one eliminates the morning-after sluggishness.
The product features the right, natural, herbal ingredients with the Magnesium Glycinate together with 5-HTP being responsible for release of tension to settle the user down where as the Melatonin and Chamomile flower powder whisks you off to the slumber land. GABA and L-Theanine/ L-Taurine relax and soothe you throughout.
- Features natural and effective ingredients such as: L-Theanine, 5-HTP, Chamomile, L-Taurine, and Magnesium.
- Non habit performing and user wakes up with vibrancy, energy and great alertness.
- Keeps the patient calm and makes it easy for them to rest
- Guaranteed good rest so you can feel your best
- Valerian Root extract for stress management
- No morning-after effects of sluggishness and restlessness
- It is non-addictive hence a non habit forming sleep aid
- It is natural thus a healthy solution
- One can easily fall asleep during the day, in random places such as public transportation even if you just took the product the previous night. This is however a plus for many.
Types and what are its benefits (to the old age people, young people)
There are numerous options of OTC sleeping aids that are available for you to choose from. Below are some of the most common options.
Diphenhydramine e.g. Unisom Sleep Gels, Benadryl etc
Diphenhydramine is an OTC sleeping aid that comes to us as a sedating antihistamine. It is very effective but doesn’t come without side effects. Its side effects include dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention, daytime drowsiness and blurred vision.
Doxylamine Succinate e.g. Unisom Sleep Tabs
This is yet another sedating antihistamine that’s very effective with side effects that are very similar to those of the Diphenhydramine.
This is a hormone type of pill that helps to control the natural sleep-wake human cycle. It is therefore a good solution to those suffering from a jet lag or those who want to reduce the time taken to fall asleep. With very mild effects, it also has mild side effects which include daytime sleepiness and headache.
This is a plant that is a major ingredient of many OTC sleep aids, more so the herbal options. It comes with very mild, slow but steady results and is credited for having virtually no side effects.
Points to keep in mind before buying OTC sleeping pills
There is always a perception that the OTC drugs are very safe regardless of how you use them. This is wrong. In fact, even if they are OTC, it is wise for one to get some knowledge from specialists. Below are some of the important points you need to consider before buying these OTC sleeping pills
- Starts your journey with a physician: Though you do not need a doctor’s approval to take these OTC pills, it is prudent for you to seek to know whether these pills can have negative impacts upon interaction with the medication you are already on. Will the pills affect you during your breastfeeding or pregnancy phase? Does it have any negative impacts on my age?
- Keep precautions at your finger tips: Doxylamine and Diphenhydramine aren’t recommended for the asthmatic, those with closed-angle glaucoma, sleep apnea, chronic obstructive pulmonary condition, urinary retention, digestive system obstruction and severe liver disease. They are also discouraged to be used by the elderly as they increase the risks of dementia, impaired sweating, nausea and tachycardia (rapid heart rate).
What are the side effects of OTC sleeping pills
- The OTC sleeping aids increase the risk of stroking for those above the age of 75.
- It poses risks to those breastfeeding and pregnant women and the fetuses in their wombs
- Doxylamine and Diphenhydramine can cause urinary retention
- Avoid alcohol: alcohol is known to increase the sedative effects of these sleeping aids. You should thus choose between alcohol and these pills.
- Neither should you drive, nor undertake any activity that requires alertness when you are under these sleeping aids.
- The pills aren’t to be taken for more than two weeks and not more than once a day.
OTC Sleeping Pills Not a Magic Curative
The OTC sleeping pills can be very effective in solving sleep issues for those suffering from occasional sleepless nights. However, there are a few caveats that are worth mentioning. They include:
- Most of these Over-the-Counter sleeping pills have antihistamines as their active ingredients. It is normal for people to quickly develop tolerance to the antihistamines. Thus therefore means that if used for long, there are risks that you will soon continue suffering from your chronic insomnia.
- It is common for those using these OTC sleep aids to keep feeling groggy and quite unwell the day after they use these aids. In other words, you must anticipate hangovers when you use these pills.
- There are also risks of medical interaction and much is still unknown about the effectiveness together with the safety of these OTC sleeping pills.
There is no one who will not benefit from a good, comfortable, sound night sleep. In case you either have a problem falling asleep, or your sleeping hours are very short, you are suffering from a jet lag among other sleep related conditions, consult your doctor for help. The physician will most likely recommend lifestyle changes through behavioral therapy so as to enable you establish new sleep habits. While working on the longtime solution through the lifestyle overhaul, the short term use of the OTC sleeping pills is not only prudent but also therapeutic.