One of the golden rules in life is to stay fit. Perhaps told by a fellow who repels exercise, that working out before bed is not the most harmful deeds to you can do, the same is the trendiest fallacy of the era. Sleep being one of the most important sections of our survival and given that we sleep one-thirds of our lives, sleep fitness is as important as your favorite calisthenics.
What happens when you work out before bed?
Apart from the societal ideologies and cost of maintenance for fitness, medically, working out before bed is a 100% holistic routine to follow, to increase the quality, duration and depth of your sleep. In fact, as sleep fitness is vehemently under-researched, scores of controversial misconceptions surround it. Most people quote and believe that an evening dose of exercise before bed can trigger insomnia, while the truth is that any workout routine before bad can jumpstart your metabolism and calorie-burning rate to aide in the sweetest sleep!
Studies and theories that explain what happens if you work out before bed
• An anecdotal evidence regarding Sleep and Working out before bed, denotes to people with difficulty hitting the sack at night. Biologically, when you indulge in strenuous to light exercise styles, the body generates high adrenaline, simultaneously increasing the brain activity by creating the halt on the action of -winding down or crashing off to sleep.
The sleep specialist, infamous Dr. Quan recommends that scheduling the workout a few hours prior to sleep is ideal as well as beneficial. It cools the body down to 98.60 and tones downs the racing heart rate to have a long and silent slumber.
- Doctors at the National Sleep Foundation, based on the Sleep In America 2013 Poll, inferred that people tend to sleep deeper after a session of light exercises, before bed. The core section of the study’s conclusion is that people who work out before bed sleep have a fitness routine as good as the people who gym-out during the day.
- Part of the inferences of the poll was that contrast to consensus, people reported to sleeping more due to vigorous exercise were more than on regular lazy days sans fitness! In fact, out of 1000 people, 3% of people who had to exercise at late night, confessed to having worse sleep.
- The foundation poll found the following
– 83% Exercisers had a fair to good sleep quality, when compared to the 56% non-exercising masses who rebutted it.
– 67% Exercisers confessed that a cozy sleep is the guarantee on almost all workout nights when compared to the 39% of non-exercising mass who rebutted it.
What really happens in your body when you workout is that the adrenaline secretion and shoots up, leader to higher metabolism which then triggers the on-going fat processing restorative process during your sleep drastically. The truth is that it is not whether workout is a boon or a bane; the motion is to find which type of exercise that fits your sleep cycle the best.
Why work out before bed
Have you had a morning workout schedule at the gym?
The rush for insufficient towels and getting unfavorable treadmills are just a start to the stressful fitness routine in a gym in the early morning. On the other hand, if you postpone your gym schedule for a late night exercise, you will see stunning things happen!
- Our body has a perfect workout time and it is after twilight or dusk.
A universal fact is that majority of the people, regardless of their girth of the waist or rate of snoring, wants or dreams about exercising regularly. Moreover, in this case, the hard work is more than playing Solitaire for two hours on your lappy. Moreover, if you want to benefit with your workout schedule, the best thing is to workout at the naturally perfect time, that is, in the evening.
- Scientific reason why it is beneficial to have late-night exercises in evenings is because evenings are when our lungs and muscles are in ideal form for the workout. Albeit, you must take care to stop the exercise at least 2 hours prior to sleep, according to Maryland Medical Centre. Another additional benefit of working out in the night owes it that it benefits the protein synthesis. In brief, it has the capability of using dietary amino acids for repairing the muscles. The peak time in the evening is 17:00 to 19:00. Furthermore, if this is the time that you’re ending your strenuous late night exercise session, your restorative sleep will also be better.
- Working out before bed heals many sleep disorders
A little-known fact about late night exercises is that it also the perfect cure for a range of somnipathies from sleep apnea to sleep duration and issues with the depth of sleep. It cures the highest rated sleep disorder affecting a wide range of people, called- insomnia as well as the critical Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD).
As working out cures the sleeping duration problems by ensuring deep sleep, your circadian rhythm also falls back onto the steady cogwheels!
- Calms the body down easily/ relax easily
Working out before bed brings down a hyperventilating body by venting out his or her surplus energy in the body through adrenaline powered cardio exercises. This is highly beneficial to people who stress too much. In fact, if you are nervous for an important event or chore to do early in the morning, the best sleep cum alarm to bid a sweet good night on, are the bouts of late night exercises.
Stress relief plus weight loss and extra years of life; what more can you dream!
- Tire you out
An obvious underlying fact of late night exercises is that it wears you out, completely such that, by the time you hit the bed, sandman is ready with a bag full of the best slumber on your shoulders!
Most people wish feel exhausted throughout the day and the minute you reach the home from office, the sleep disappears, only to be displaced by your best bud- chronic insomnia.
To avoid this, remember to avoid tiring out too much and collapsing on the bed too. The hack is to do light-weight exercises that tire you out, appropriately timed before bed.
From better sleep that restores your body to the same workout that vigorously repairs the body in deeper stage of REM sleep. Accurately put, working out before bed ensures many more cures than just insomnia or the circadian rhythm!
Why you should not work out before bed
When overdone, even elixir turns into poison. In fact, if there are many factors that can affect your physique and psyche, if you overdo you late night exercise routine. In fact, the two core reasons why you should avoid working out before bed, as afternoon is the prime time of Adrenalin and noreadrenaline secretion and peak in our body. This owes it to the drastic rise in body temperature post the scorching afternoon.
Simply put, even your regular or light workout routine will seem harder to accomplish, than normal during this time. The hack is to decide the duration of time you want to spend on your evening workouts rather than going for a wild-goose chase with the dumbbells.Often, it is also noted that working out before bed can also result in worsening the sleeping problem too. While late night exercises release the hormone cortisol, which can be simplified as the alerting or concentration hormone. This inhibits sleep and as it is as tress hormone, cortisol can further trigger the specific biochemical reactions in your body, which can keep your insomnia undeterred.
Myths and Facts of Working out Before Bed
The most mysterious thing to a man is, man himself. The same is the reason why there are umpteen exaggerated myths as well as untold facts about working out before bed. In fact, the truth is that, a workout routine in the evening or evening, even both, is better than none at all!
Facts about late night exercises
- Schedule Descend of the workout: Do a gradually descending work out pace when finishing the exercise, rather than abruptly stopping it.
- Relax and saddle your restless spirit: The best way to calm yourself if the workout is exciting you is to meditate post the workout session. It gives a better calmth and a soothing embrace throughout your sleep.
- When should your shower after working out? The ideal time to shower after a light late night exercise is 0 to 20 minutes.
- The perfect Late night Exercise Routine to perform:
Second Step- Shower
Third Step- Eat
Fourth Step- Sleep
- Yet another universal and ancient fact is that strenuous late night exercises keeps you strenuously awake throughout the night!
Myths about late-night exercises
- A renowned myth is that a person cannot sleep if he or she works out before bed. According to the trademark 2013 poll, facts state that only 3-4% people reported having somnipathies post late night workouts. Night owl
- Myth-Essential oil is mandatory to achieve a good night’s sleep after a workout that impacts in hyperactivity. Most sleep specialist and therapists advocate the use of essential oils in moderate amounts to give a relaxing effect, to prepare or stimulate your brain to sleep, and not create sleep out of the blue!
- Another well accepted myth among the sensible masses too, is that only a perfect working out schedule can make you sleep. This is a myth because, there are no rules about light exercises and each one decides their own. The fact is that, everything works when you’re doing late night exercises.
- A descriptive myth that is popular among most people is that Bathing and Exercising don’t go together. The truth is soaking yourself in lukewarm water for 15-20 minutes in water, approximately an hour before you hit the bed, will give you deep and relaxing sleep.
- This is a dangerous myth- Having sleeping pills are better than working out before bed. Not only do sleeping pills distort the circadian rhythm of your body, it also disturbs your duration, depth and posture as well as schedule of sleep.
Light Exercises to do before Bed
Now that you understand why heavy exercises are detrimental to sleep, it is time to acquaint with the best sleeping exercises to do before bed- the Light Exercises.
• No-sweat exercises: Remember to repeat the below sequence twice at an even rate;
– 15-18 Pushups
– Elbow Planks for 25 Seconds
– Right Side Planks for 25 Seconds
– Left Side Planks for 25 Seconds
– 25 Squats
– 25 lunge lines that are evenly paced
• 5 Minute Yoga
Lie on your back with the pillows underneath to keep your middle and top part of the neck supported. By resting your head on the folds of your blanket, press your feet soles against each other. Now involuntarily allow your knees to fall open to inclining sides. Simultaneously, pull your shoulders inward and let your arms relieve by facing the palms upwards and hold for 60-90 seconds.
• 50 minute Walk or Jog
Easy as it sounds, you if the time frame of 50 minutes is too strenuous for you that you pant and huff when you hit the showers, you must reduce the total time and opt a lighter late-night exercise that fits your breath rate too.
• Bedtime stretching
If you feel a stressed knot or tension on any part of the body, it is better to relieve it prior to going to sleep.
We love Calisthenics before bed, because it soothes your body and automatically puts the mind into meditative sleep that is healing as well as beneficial to the health of your body.
Some tips about working out before bed to keep in mind are that our body detests hasty temperature fluctuations. It is better to wait a few minutes before driving off home after your late night exercise. Yet another important aspect of controlling your body heat to have a soothing and curing sleep is by taking a shower 3 minutes, but not more than 20 minutes after your workout session at night.
Yet another significant factor that can hat your comfy sleep schedule and preceding workout session is to avoid working out in the bedroom to ensure quality sleep!