Wetting the bed is a common affair with the kids. However, some adults also have the tendency to wet beds, due to certain health problems. There is no reason to feel embarrassed about it. Instead, try to learn about how to stop wetting the bed.
- Regulate the Fluid Intakes: The first step that you must take in this respect is to shift the times of fluid intake. Try to drink more volumes of water during the day and reduce the intake during night. Do not drink water immediately before going to the bed. This is the primary step that one can take in case he or she is suffering from the problem of urinating in the bed.
- Go to the Loo Once Before You Go off to Sleep: Practise going to the toilet once, every day before you go to the bed. This will help you to reduce the chances of wetting the bed during your sleep.
- Avoid Bladder Irritants: There are certain bladder irritants that should be eliminated from the list of your dinner items and should also be avoided as a part of your dinner snacks.
Common examples of such irritants are fruit juices, tomato ketchups, carbonated drinks, spicy food, corn syrup and tea. Also, coffee should be avoided since caffeine is a diuretic and produces more urine. Make sure that you do not take any of these, one to two hours before you go to bed.
Also, spicy foods have a tendency of irritating the bladder and therefore a rich and spicy dinner should be avoided.
- Set Alarms: Another thing which you can implement is setting alarms from time to time. Say, you have a tendency to urinate every two hours. Now, during your sleep, you will probably wet your bed twice or thrice at a gap of two hours (probably a lesser number of times than this). So, it would be great to set multiple alarms in these time gaps so that you wake up and can go to the wash-room instead of wetting the bed.
- Measures to Prevent Child Bed Wetting: If you are concerned about a child who is old enough to get up and go to the washroom, (say more than five years old) but it still wetting the bed, you need to teach them the consequences of the same and also the reasons why he should stop such practises. You should tell them about the ill-effects of wetting the bed and also about the right things to be done in this respect.
Also, find out whether they are suffering from constipation problems. This is because the constipation problems in children are likely to be expressed in the form of bladder problems. So, it is better to cure their constipation problems first, instead of concentrating on their urinary problems.
You should also ensure that the other members of your family or your child’s friends do not tease them in any way. In doing so, they might affect your child’s psychology and make him suffer mentally.
Remember, you need to be patient throughout to deal effectively with the problem. Being angry or frustrated will not provide you the solution and scolding your child may have negative consequences.
- Analysis of Problems: Now, in case you find that the above-stated solutions do not work out for you and you need to go for something more serious, consult a doctor and seek his advice. He will probably help you to find out whether you are suffering from a disease that is making your bed wet. However, before that it is important to take a note of the specific problems that you are facing and keeping an observation on your own lifestyle so that you can help the physician identify your problem better.
So, keep a track of the number of times you tend to wet your bed, the time at which you are likely to do the same, the volume of urine passed, your daily habits of fluid consumption and other such things.
- Diagnosis of Diseases: It is often found that prostate problems in men and pelvic organ prolapsed in women leads to such problems. So, you should go for a proper diagnosis of your health problems before coming to the solution.
Apart from these, the other possible medical causes are urinary tract infection, diabetes, neurological disorders, anatomical abnormalities, prostate enlargement, bladder cancer and other such problems.
Finally, it is the time to follow the advice of the doctor and take the medicines or undergo the treatments as suggested by him. In this way you would be able to find a solution to your problem of wetting bed.
Do share it with others who are facing the same issue with themselves or with their children!