How often do you feel like roping in coffee in your body whenever you feel sleepy or dizzy? Every time, almost. It is quite natural to think that way, since caffeine actually is extremely effective when it comes to shooing away sleep and dizziness. But have you ever wondered how long does caffeine stay in your body after you consume coffee or any drink containing caffeine? What does it do to your body? Does it harm you in any way? Read on to find out what caffeine is capable of and what it does to your body.
To start with, let us take a look at what caffeine actually is.
Caffeine is a ‘Central Nervous System’ (CNS) stimulant, belonging to the methylxanthine class. It is also the most consumed psychoactive drug in the world. There are numerous effects of caffeine, the most prominent one being, the blocking the action of the adenosine, and prevents the sleepiness or the dizziness, produced by adenosine. The ‘Autonomic Nervous System’ (ANS) is also stimulated by caffeine. Caffeine can have both positive and negative effects on the body, depending on the dose and the frequency of usage.
So, what happens when caffeine enters your body?
Caffeine passes right through the membrane and into the bloodstream, the moment you empty the cup of your coffee or the energy drink. As a matter of fact, it only takes around 45 minutes for the entire caffeine to be absorbed by your membranes. Generally, in human being, the half life of caffeine is estimated to be around 4-6 hours. So, the average span of caffeine in your body from the coffee or any strong energy drinks lasts about 4-6 hours.
However, this time has been estimated for a healthy average person. Medical conditions, age can also be a part in altering the half life of caffeine. The remaining amount of caffeine in your body can stay up to 8-14 hours, depending on the dose and intake amount. The amount of caffeine taken in plays a big factor in keeping your body free of most of the side effects.
Here’s a recommended list of usage of caffeine that everyone should strictly follow.
- 4-6 years of age- 45 mg
- 7-9 years of age- 62.5 mg
- 10-12 years of age- 85 mg
- 13-15 years of age- 95 mg
- 16 and above- 100-105 mg
Anything more than the recommended dose of caffeine can result in various side effects.
- Physical: Caffeine can cause increase in the blood pressure. Significantly high dosage of it for a longer period can also cause chronic arterial stiffness. It also increases the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is most of the adults, if the consumption is not kept under control. In the post menopausal period of women, over dose of caffeine can speed up the process of their bone loss.
- Psychological: Caffeine can have extreme psychological effects. If taken properly, you will reap huge benefits. Once the usage goes wrong, you’re in deep trouble. It is known to cause jitteriness, dizziness, and insomnia too. Too much of caffeine consumption, can lead anxiety, which can give rise to hyper ventilating behavior of any person concerned. Generally, people who are too much on caffeine, often experience enormous problems, saying that their Circadian Cycle (the regular sleep cycle of the body), gets altered, and then they need to get used to a different cycle.
- During pregnancies: Caffeine is known to clear head, get rid of all the sleepiness and dizziness. It is believed that pregnant women do not run the risk of any malformations or miscarriage even if they consume slightly high, but moderate dose caffeine. 200 mg can be safe for pregnant women. But reports from Health Agencies in UK has confirmed that, even pregnant women should control their daily doses of caffeine.
- Addiction: One of the most important and dirty side effects of caffeine is that it becomes an addiction. Like with all other addictions developing a strong taste in your mouth, caffeine too does the same. Once you get addicted to caffeine, you might not be able to stay away from gulping down either and energy drink or a cup of coffee to charge you up. Let me tell, coffee necessarily doesn’t need to charge you up. The afore mentioned effects deal a massive blow to the human body, so it is better to stay away from making caffeine you next addiction.
Considering all the mentioned points, caffeine is actually extremely helpful to get rid of all the dizziness and tiredness which clogs your body after a tough day at work. Though the duration of coffee in the body is long, if consumed in the right quantity, it should not be a problem. If anyhow, you let caffeine take over you, you’re in grave danger, my friend.